Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Forum Day 1 - Assignments

First Assignment:
Look back at your life to discover what your "rackets are.

Am I pretending that I care about world peace but in truth I don't want things to change because then I don't have to take responsibility to do more?
No, that doesn't sound right... I don't know why, but I have this belief that world peace (ie. people of the world living harmoniously with each other and the environment) is not possible during my lifetime, but when I search myself deeply, I believe that it is indeed possible in our capacity as human beings to live harmoniously with each other and our environment, embracing differences in cultures and beliefs as differences and nothing more. I think the problem I struggle with is that we have the capacity to be at either end of the spectrum. We have many living examples of this today - corrupt politicians, officials and business men on one end and people like the Dalai Lama on the other end. Why should it matter to me whether it happens in this lifetime or not? I do feel a sense of urgency because of the things I hear in the news and from "leading experts" on the subjects of peak oil, climate change, population explosions, etc.


I DO want world peace, therefor it is a raquet? The people at Landmark say it is...
Is my consistent complaint more accurately pointed towards people who don't share my concern, or who wave it off as something to big for them to comprehend or too difficult to deal with, or too inconvenient?


What is running my life? Is it me or my constant complaint that the people I share this life with aren't willing to do what is necessary to evolve into a species that can live harmoniously with each other and with our environment? I don't think this issue always runs my life, but not being satisfied at my job plays a significant role in shaping the type of person I am being in the world...

Second Assignment:
Share with someone in your life, a possibility that you have invented for yourself or your life out of participating in The Landmark Forum in a way that leaves them touched, moved or inspired by your having gotten that possibility. (This will create a very powerful result in your life).

Third Assignment:
Write a practice letter to someone you have been inauthentic with or have been running a "racket" on. Share with them the possibility you have invented for yourself and your life. Be willing to acknowledge having been inauthentic and share the impact that has had in your life.

Suggested format and points for your letter:
What I came to The Landmark Forum to accomplish is...
What I am actually accomplishing is...
The possibility that I have invented for myslf and my life is the possibility of being...
Create a communication that begins to establish a new relationship with the person to whom you are writing.

Practice being generous in that relationship.

Some ideas of how to create this in your letter:
Acknowldedge something that hasn't been acknowledged
Give something up
Commit to something
Offer something
Request something
Extend an invitation

2 comments:

  1. Waste assignments for uncomplicated people.
    Useful for the following:
    Divorcees
    Parents who could not brought children properly.
    As on 2nd day I did not feel it is useful for professionals who wants dramatic changes in their profession financially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kamalakar - I am a Landmark Forum graduate. I loved the forum - however, I agree with you, there were no dramatic breakthroughs regarding financial freedom and professional growth. However, I believe the message is that if you get yourself out of your own head - and ultimately get out of your own way - the rest will come. The train can't run without a locomotive.

    Much of the Landmark Forum is psychobabble... It's 3 months of intense therapy wrapped in 3 days. It's Tony Robins, Oprah and Dr. Phil all giving you roundhouse kicks to the head in succession. But it worked for me. It got me out of my story. It got me to stop attaching so much meaning to Every. Single. Thing. As a result, my life decisions come without as much hesitation - notice I said "not as much" - I'm not perfect. I still lament - just not as much and not for as long. My communication is open, kind and loving without any fear of non-reciprocation.

    I have made a LOT of major life changes as a result of Landmark - I'm a tremendous fan. However, not a blind one. I can see it objectively as flawed - but that's ok. Take what you like and leave the rest.

    If you use 50% of what they give you, it's a home run!

    ReplyDelete